Apply for the $1,000 Bill Marcus Student Scholarship
The annual Bill Marcus scholarship, is now open to current college students pursuing a degree in journalism or working towards a career in media, whether it be in broadcast, newsprint, photojournalism or online journalism.
In early 2020, our chapter lost a dedicated board member Bill Marcus, who worked in broadcast radio for many years. We chose to honor Bill by renaming our annual scholarship after him.
This year, the student who wins first place will receive a $1,000 scholarship. A runner-up will also be selected and receive $500. The top three applicants will be awarded SPJNE membership for one year.
How to apply
Students applying must provide the New England SPJ chapter scholarship committee with the following:
- An academic transcript
- A letter of recommendation from a professor, academic advisor, journalism mentor, workplace supervisor or other relevant person to be sent to the scholarship committee separately from the application
- Proof of enrollment to verify that you will be attending school in the fall
- Proof of residency if not enrolled in a New England college or university
- A 500 word essay explaining why you are planning to pursue a career in journalism, what type of stories you want to cover and what you’ve done so far
- Three work samples, including written, audio, video or visual samples of reporting
Application materials are due by Friday, December 3rd.